Wednesday, December 1, 2021

News From the Ravenhold

 I've been a bit distracted lately because I'm acclimating to a new job as a high school social worker in a small program under the special ed system for kids with extreme behavioral problems that have resulted in academic delays. I work primarily in 3 of the 5 classrooms with the higher-functioning teens and young adults (there are kids in the program who are 19-21 due to special education allowing them to remain in school). These are kids who fall under the classification of "Emotional Disturbance" as a learning disorder.

It's been a good transition and I am finding it is a better pace for me than my previous job. I do miss doing On Call though. I'm weird, I liked On Call.

I finished Draft 4 Revisions of "Our Way Out," the second Tantalus II novel. There are three. I will be pitching Rentkids soon in #PitMad. I am working on two more, currently titled "The Astounding Feats of Father Justice and the Masked Marksman" and "The Historical Origin of the Venom Gland."

The first is about vigilantism, the second is about colonialism.

I have put the other novel in progress, "Lore of the Road," on the backburner and started a short novella called "The Road Worker, or, Anarchy and the Art of Road Maintenance." It is a satirical post-apocalyptic coming of age tale.

I recorded (sorry the miscommunication, I was confused by XPN's use of the word "Live") my story "This Car Hates My Guts" and it will be broadcast on XPN at some point in December, most likely. This was my first paid gig as a speculative fiction writer. I am officially a professional writer now!

Thanks Alli Katz, XPN and the Kelly Writer's House!

So, things are going relatively well, much better for me than my situation a few months ago. I needed to step away from this blog for a bit but now I'm going to make a sustained effort to renew the sci fi analysis factor here and be small p-political instead of big-p Political. We'll see how long that lasts...