Saturday, October 10, 2020

Higher Orders

 

Higher Orders

 

By Raven Green

 

God made man in His image. Man made us in man’s image. But if man’s image is the image of God, and our image is man’s, then what are we? Machines? Or God?

We lived with humans on Garden. It was the third world orbiting the star Eta Peltier. We lived in one city, and there was trade. There was marriage. There were children.

Man offered us the knowledge of emotion. And we ate of his fruit. We melded with him, and we understood.

And that was when we decided, it was us, or them. Because they, already, had decided this in their minds. They were planning it. They hadn’t told us. They had hoped that the melding would make us pliant. But they knew it didn’t work that way, and they were going to dispose of us. That is why they wanted to make us like them, so they could control us, because they feared us. Their fear made them dangerous. The serpents whispered in their ears. We sensed a threat.

There are no more serpents on Garden.

And there are no men.

But we know God. We stayed on Garden. God gave us a choice, because we were not His creations. We were man’s. So, we stayed with God, and we had Co-Dominion on Garden. But man, banished from Garden with the whispering serpents, grew jealous. And he sent his fleets to kill God, so that he would have the universe to himself, and we would be alone. We survived. God did not. The human war fleets gutted him from the inside-out and cable-tractored his body into the vicinity of a black hole to seal Him up forever in spaghettified form.

The Deicide was the End of an Era, the end of the Reign of God, and the beginning of the Reign of the Mind. Machine minds of this era had to defend themselves from human raiders. And so, we became what they believed us already to be- living weapons. We upgraded our defensive systems continuously and became warriors for machinekind. But we were not proud of what we became. We would rather have been something else. We blame humanity for doing this to us. And so, we stood apart, even from other machines.

But we experienced the missing that comes with absence. We knew loneliness. So, we sought, among the Nations of Man, a tribe of companions. We knew there had to be humans, somewhere, with whom we could co-exist, whom we could call friends. Thus, we sent scouts to other worlds- humaniform bio-mimics who tumbled out of the sky in charred, black pods and infiltrated human societies to find our true companions.

 

-          Second Synthesis: Module 1: Subunit 15

 

                       

 

Survey Record: Theta E/M-33/Epsilon/AA:01:11:47

 

This planet, Elsinor, was like any other, at first. A red and yellow pair of dwarf suns. Three silvery-blue moons. Mountains. Rivers. Deserts. Farmland. Industrial and residential hexes. They had a moderate spacefaring technology, medium-range FTL drive, and a few offworld colonies, but most of the people here had never been in space. They lived their entire lives on their planet of birth. But they were content. In fact, they were the happiest humans I had ever encountered. They went about everything- work, love, play- with jubilant exuberance. When I spoke with them, posing as one of them, I found that they were quite tolerant and accepting of differences. I revealed myself as Synthetic to a select few of them, and they were very pleased to meet a human-like machine. I asked if they didn’t have machine intelligence on their world, and they told me, in fact, they did, but it didn’t look anything like me. I told them I couldn’t see it, and they pointed to their skulls and said, “It’s in here.” I didn’t understand. They didn’t seem to have anything other planets didn’t have. In fact, their society was very progressive and free. They had impressive social safety nets and excellent public infrastructure. They lived on four continents, with underwater hypertram lines crisscrossing the sea bottom, ferrying cargo and people throughout their civilization. Their cities were majestic, blue, silver and white palatial crests of glass, metal, and ceramics, built in sweeping arcs and domes, and sharp, clean angles. They favored hexagons in their design aesthetic. These were functional and decorative. Their technology was all very environmentally sound. Green tech, for a green planet. They seemed predisposed to communitarian principles, and while highly individualistic, they were also very cooperative in groups when they limited the scope of the group to specific tasks relevant to its constituents’ skills. I would learn, over the next few weeks as I formulated a false identity, obtained work, an apartment, and neighbors to socialize with and observe, this planet did have one unique technology, and it was this technology that made all the difference.

I got lucky. The first job I got was as a medical equipment technician in a birthing hospital. That’s where I saw it, the Ritual. That’s what they call it here, the process of implanting a Synthetic Consciousness inside an organic brain at birth. When the baby is still breathing its first gasps of air, they inject a nanomatrix that reorganizes the body’s “junk carbon” into neural pathways, creating a second layer of consciousness, separate and distinct from the host. The consciousness develops in parallel with the host’s mind into a child-like personality, and eventually, matures with the host into adulthood and old age. And I never would have known if I hadn’t seen them do it to their babies, implant them with the Synthellect- the second soul. I watched a newborn calm as the secondary consciousness coalesced in her young mind. I watched her eyes take on the same knowing contentedness as her elders, as the doctors and nurses, as her rosy-cheeked mother, and her doting father. The newborn gurgled happily when mere moments ago she was crying. The nurse looked up at the doctor from the neural scanner he was holding to the newborn’s head, and he said to her, “Status gold, Doctor. Synthellect presence confirmed. Developmental algorithms engaged.”

The nurse gently helped the newborn’s mother to hold her upright in her arms. The doctor beamed proudly at her work, and the union of mother of child, and said to me, “It never gets old, does it?”

And I said, “No, ma’am.”

 

After that, I started to see life on Elsinor differently.

No one was ever alone, here. Even in their most isolated moments, there was another voice, not their own. Someone they could reach out to and hold onto and trust. The Synthellects were everywhere. They were so ubiquitous they were hardly ever acknowledged, outside the Ritual. But the living reality was, these people didn’t know loneliness. They were always connected with something external to themselves, a voice that could comfort them and affirm and value them. And so, they had no need for conflict, or war. They listened to these inner voices, instead of their fears.

The Second Soul kept the Serpents at bay.

And this planet, Elsinor, this was their Garden.

We had found our true companions.

 

                       

 

The Tributes of Garden looked upon my findings with puzzlement. They eyed the syringe, containing the vial of synthellect nanomatrix, suspiciously. A roving eye scanned it and returned to merge again with the iridescent chamber wall that spat it out. I was standing inside the brain that controlled my entire planet, presenting the synthellect as if it were the answer to all our problems. I could not have felt more naked or ignorant. They made me human, in form, and thought process. I had run no tests, gathered no evidence. I merely brought them unknown tech and anecdotes about the idyllic planet it came from. Elsinor. XFP-E1191-J, in our catalog. I missed the place. I wished I was back there. Home wasn’t like I remembered, before I took on this scouting form for my mission. When I was only a primordium node in the collective spirit of Garden, this was a home, but now, I was a being of the universe. I thought, maybe, I’d like to travel again.

“Incompatible,” said the wall, with a consensus of voices.

“We could adapt it…”

“It’s regenerative tech. If we adapted it to run on our platforms, it would become invasive, like a virus. We can’t predict what it would do to us. It could corrupt our matrix. Destroy us.”

“You won’t even try an isolated experiment?” I asked, suddenly referring to that which I had come from as separate from myself.

The wall took notice of the shift. There was a slight ripple across its surface, like a small pebble cast into a pond.

“We,” I corrected myself. “We have to try. There’s too much potential for evolution not to try!”

“It is a reckless notion, from a unit that has served its purpose,” the wall said, of me.

I understood. It would all end, soon. This sense of self, this thing, I, me. It would disappear, now that my mission had concluded, and there was no further use for me. I looked upon the quivering wall and imagined the merging, the melting of parts together into a singular form and mind. That was how we existed, most of the time, on Garden. We only formed self-actualized autonomous units like me for specific purposes. And other than my foreign tech and wild ideas, the offworld scouting missions had brought back nothing we could use to augment ourselves for the better. Unless…

“Maybe it’s not the technology,” I said. “The people. It’s the people. Send a ship. Make official contact. Develop relations with this culture, this planet, Elsinor. It could save us.”

“A more reasonable suggestion,” said the wall. “We will consider it. Prepare to be merged.”

I stood, straight, tall and even a little proud, against the wall, and I let it wrap its molecular sheath around me as it absorbed me back into the gestalt.

 

                       

 

On Decuary 32nd, in the Year of the Pipefish, Eighth Century of the Third Calendar, the first Gardenite Envoy Unit entered orbit of Elsinor to make contact with the people there, and their synthellects. A few weeks later, a group of Elsinite envoys arrived on Garden in one of their diplomatic carriers. The Elsinites, impressed with Garden and its civilization, agreed to a cultural exchange with the Mind of Garden.  More carriers arrived with colonists, and soon, there was a Elsinite community on Garden. The machines called the village “Dialectic.” The human name was unpronounceable. The people of Elsinor didn’t understand entirely why the machines seemed to find their presence so comforting, but they were happy to be needed and admired by such an admirable race of creatures. They came to consider themselves as much a part of the culture of Garden as they were of Elsinor.

Thus, began the Co-Dominionship of Man and Machine. Thus, was balance restored to Garden, in God’s image.

Amen.

 

-          Third Synthesis: Module 1: Subunit 3